Peer Analytics offers next-generation factor risk models to asset allocators and asset managers, and partners with Beacon Pointe to bring actionable predictive analytics to property-casualty, life, and health insurers.
Together with Beacon Pointe Insurance Consulting Services
- DFA/ALM analysis of client and individual peers and competitors
- Compare surplus, net income, and capital adequacy risk postures with those of peers.
- Consider the impact of changes in asset risk on relative risk positions
- Provides insight into surplus loss tolerance
Portfolio Risk Management
- Equity and Fixed Income Factor Risk Models built to distinguish security selection risk and return from unintended passive market risks and timing
- Identify any unintended systematic risks
- Mitigate unintentional passive risk… Maximize security selection risk
- Ensure sufficient active risk to compensate for active fees
Manager Selection & Oversight
- Qualitative assessments informed by unique Factor Risk Models built for oversight
- Identify statistically significant security selection skill likely to persist. Avoid managers taking too little security selection risk to overcome fees… even with top decile skill
- Red Flag monitoring: Closet indexing, Negative skill, Overcapitalization, Risk exposures conflicting with mandate, Unexplained changes in risk exposures
- Fee negotiation relative to active risk
Actionable Performance Evaluation
- Performance Attribution, Incremental Return due to: Passive Exposures, Timing (changes in passive exposures), and Security Selection
- Probability of Security Selection Skill
- Performance attribution relative to peers
- Board, committee, and staff education Operational support Rating agency support
Michael Kantor Ph.D.
Michael created a unique investment-performance diagnostic algorithm for the investment industry. This original approach to defining the impact of asset mix, market timing, and stock selection on portfolio return has since been widely used by fund sponsors and investment management organizations. Michael holds a BS degree from the Wharton School of Finance and a Doctorate in Mathematical Statistics from Columbia.
Sheldon Engler Ph.D.
Sheldon was previously head of fixed income research at Charles Schwab Investment Management and prior to that global currency strategist and director of Europe, Middle East, and Africa research at Bank of America. Sheldon teaches applied economics at the University of San Francisco College of Professional Studies and at the University of California, Davis Graduate School of Management. Sheldon served as chair of the California Chamber of Commerce Economic Advisory Council. Sheldon earned his Doctorate in Economics at the University of Florida.
David served as Senior Vice President, Research at SEI Investments prior to co-founding Peer Analytics with Michael Kantor. David and Michael pioneered an original stochastic modeling program integrating insurance company assets with liabilities – now called Dynamic Financial Analysis or DFA. David is a graduate of Whittier College with a BA in Mathematics and Economics and holds an MBA in Finance from UCLA.
Greg Kapoustin CFA
Greg is expert in the diverse areas of software system design and engineering, financial analysis, portfolio management, and financial risk management with a track record of design and implementation of complex synthesis projects spanning these diverse fields. He has spent the last fifteen years in the financial industry, with ten years of focus on portfolio management, risk management as well as reporting system design including multi-factor risk model design and implementation. Greg is a graduate of Amherst College with a BA, Summa Cum Laude, in Mathematics and Computer Science.